Monday, March 16, 2009

And now a word from our sponsor

So it looks like I've seriously fallen off the wagon. Or on it, I'm not sure which way round it would go in this case. I've not posted anything for a few days now. But I needed the rest. I'd been spending all day being busy at work and then coming home and spending the four or five hours I had in the evening trying to create a post on something. Anything. 

Sometimes, when you write something you love, it's great. The sense of accomplishment more than makes up for sacrificing the evening. Especially if someone notices and makes a comment. When you're just grinding through it to hit quota, however, it's the most demoralising thing on the face of the planet; a little piece of you dying inside as you hit 'publish' to satisfy an agreement that only you are honouring in the first place.

Thing is, I was still writing. Specifically freelance. Actual paid work. And I've got two more commissions in progress. A big feature and a 'not really a commission but I'm going to pretend it is' piece for a friend that I want to do well. Better, even, than I might publish here. I'm going to keep posting and try to get one up a day. But if they seem slight, or inconsequential, or even entirely absent it's not because I'm giving up. It's because I've written something else, somewhere else. And there is a limit you know. I am enjoying this, I just gotta take a break every now and then.

6 comments:

  1. Posts I am considering writing on a future slow day:

    1. The plot for an imaginary episode of My Family that me and Nathan worked out on a long, boring car journey.

    2. The recipe for a fish pie I cooked and ate.

    3. What would happen if BBC commissioned a Nick Griffin-hosted chat show in an effort to persuade the Daily Mail that the Beeb isn't a boiling hotbed of fashionable leftism (with Photoshopped illustrations).

    I am literally full of this sort of shit. I'm glad you're sticking to well-crafted consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a google doc full of stuff. Unfortunatly it tends to be more along the lines of:

    1. The first head transplant.

    2. GMTV

    3. Why The Wire isn't so special (don't tell Nath)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh come on. 'Why the Wire isn't so special'? How can that be anything other than willfully contrary?

    ALSO. What happened to the forfeit system? Do you FEAR it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Wire is a well written drama full of clearly defined characters. That's all I really want in a TV show. Why do we have to go so bat-shit crazy when people get it write. Shouldn't we getting all apocalyptic on the ones who get it wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somebody explain the forfeit system, sil vous plait.

    (imagine I'm saying that like the bloke from Midnight Express after he goes mad).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Supposedly we nominate subjects that some has to then write about when we miss a post. Seeing as I've basically fucked the 'one a day' thing right up and there's little chance of me catching up until deadline is over, I'm avoiding Andy's suggestion of "The last poo I did".

    ReplyDelete