Monday, March 9, 2009

Fitba

I played football tonight. Strictly speaking, I played a private game of 'stop ball go in net', otherwise known as goal. Or just nets. That's about as far as my ability to blend in goes. If I was Jason Bourne I wouldn't be able to get a taxi, let alone cross international borders, such is my ability to pass as one of the crowd. I'm basically a bad man. Not evil or cruel to animals; just 'bad' like Kraft cheese slices are a poor example of dairy produce.

I don't understand football. I don't care about it. I constantly query references to footballers in the articles I edit - will people understand this? What is a Drogba exactly? But I do understand one thing: this puts me at a serious disadvantage. I'm uncomfortable around people I haven't know for at least a couple of years. I struggle at small talk and falter generally in most social situations. Something that would be instantly remedied fifty percent of the time if I could pull football out of the hat like a magic conversation rabbit. I often wonder just how different things would be if I could join in with that stuff? Ultimately, however, that's never going to happen and instead, I'm doomed to stare politely into space at the pub. Maybe I'll bring a book next time.

4 comments:

  1. You know this, right? Much funnier on the actual telly, of course:

    http://www.noisetosignal.org/2008/11/the-it-crowd-are-we-not-men

    When Jay was born and I told Nathan I was worried about how he'd do at school, Nath said: "Don't worry, I'll just make him really good at football." And he did. And it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost quoted the IT Crowd. "What a ludicrous display" is a phrase I'd love to get into a conversation one day. Your Jay story, however, isn't exactly helping me believe that I'm not in some way disadvantaged. Stupid bloody game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the many reasons I don't feel qualified to have children is how brilliantly Nathan's brilliant plan worked. Of course, I could always make mine really tough.

    Unrelatedly: rear naked choke defence FAIL!

    http://i40.tinypic.com/2nq3nk.gif

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply list foregin names really loudly. That's all I hear when football chat begins.

    "CANTONA FIZZELONI MARASPONI CORDELLONI BELLOW BELLOW BELLOW BLAH BLAH FUCKING BLAH"

    ReplyDelete