Thursday, February 19, 2009

Any pointers?

Brilliant, they're not here. I knew I should have checked before buying a drink. How can they book a gig and then not turn up?What am I meant to do now on my own? God this band's awful. I don't even have to look to guess what they're like, I can tell just by listening to the guitar – weak left hand that can't quite hold the chords down cleanly and apologetic strumming that's afraid to make too much noise in case there's a mistake. Young bedroom songwriters that think they're special because they're them. Only now they're not playing in front of friends, they're in a big room full of scary strangers and suddenly they can't quite sing as loud; can't quite find that fire and... OH MY GOD THAT GUY'S ONLY GOT ONE ARM!

Wait, a normal limb and half of one with a sort of claw at the elbow where he's holding a plectrum. Do I have to like them now? What are rules? I can see plenty of people nodding to each other approvingly like he's learned a trick. Should I regard him as heroic for mastering an instrument with a disability or accept him as a normal person getting on with stuff like we all do. Why have I never talked to a disabled person about this? Man, I really should have eaten something on the way home before that pint.

No comments:

Post a Comment