Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Why Jedi don't get laid.

I got angry today. Not the usual internal frustration where I get annoyed at myself and sulk for a bit but a real “don't come near me” kind of stink. I wanted to snap at people. I wanted to tell them to sort their own bloody problems out (which were mine really but then that's the whole point of being in a mood.) Thing is there wasn't even any reason for it as far as I can tell. It just happened, round about four-ish.

The fact that I couldn't even think why I was moody got me thinking about where anger even came from in evolution. Did raging monkeys have an advantage? Yep, apparently so (thanks Google). If you're an animal, anger and fear are pretty much all you get as far as emotional extremes go. Fight or flight. And bananas, if you're a monkey.

As an animal, being angry is something you can use, a tool to achieve certain goals. Mainly food and sex. It turns out the dark side is right as far as natural selection goes. Big growley Sith monkeys get all the girls, food and best trees to sit in because they use their temper like a superpower. Jedi monkeys, on the other hand, stay at home on Saturday nights, totally failing to secure a date or their place in the natural history museum.

And even though we've evolved to wave iPhones instead of pointy sticks, not only does the mechanism remain but it still serves a purpose. Which is specifically that angry people are more likely to take risks and be optimistic about the outcome. It still doesn't explain why I got in a huff today. And, as someone who rarely gets properly angry, would suggest I'm at an evolutionary disadvantage when it comes to getting the girls, bananas, or Lightsabers.

No comments:

Post a Comment