Thursday, February 5, 2009

I've never really grown up

I've come to the conclusion I don't play games for the same reason as a lot of people. I don't compete. I'm not interesting in winning, collecting points or even straightforward aggression. It's about being there. I get immersed, play acting like I'm 6 all over again. I'm not pretending to be some soldier or hero, I am some soldier or hero. Battling, fighting, exploring – pulling off last minute escapes, surviving by the skin of my teeth; turning corners to find new and unexpected things. It's why I love stuff like Fallout 3 Or Oblivion – big rambling stories waiting for you to tell them. I'm always building back stories, adding my own assumptions, filling gaps and fleshing out the world as I go.

For example, in Fallout3 I've just discovered a body carrying a note addressed to their daughter, Moonbeam. In it, the father explains how he left to try and make some money but the deal went bad and he got shot, "I think I'm dying". The final lines of the note stating, "You're a strong girl and I know you can use everything I taught you to survive alone. Please forgive me, sweetie. I only wanted to make the best for us. Daddy loves you very much. Goodbye." That's it. Who knows, I might meet her later and tell her what happened? She could already be dead? As a piece of story telling it's just as good as any book, or film. Better, even, because I'm involved. I found the note and I may even find Moonbeam. I hope she's alright.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. According to the many faqs and guides around the internet, I'm sure I've already 'failed' Fallout 3.
    I didn't want to kill the Oversee, f'instance, but once I did I couldn't think of going back and reloading - the accidental murder had *made* my character. There's so much more personality and room for role-play in that game than there was in Oblivion.

    ReplyDelete